Aquilegia canadensis L. Red columbine also known as "Wild Columbine" . The most striking feature of columbine flowers is the collection of five backwards-projecting spurs. Each spur is a petal. At the very top of each spur, inside, is a gland producing sweet nectar. When a pollinator such as a hummingbird comes to stick its beak up into the spurs to sip nectar, in the process it brushes against the stamens, which deposit pollen onto the pollinator. When the pollinator visits the next flower, it leaves some of that pollen on the flower's stigma, thus pollinating the flower.
Thursday, May 24, 2007
Another photo from my garden. It is so much fun to get home from work everyday and see what's blooming and how much everything is growing.
Aquilegia canadensis L. Red columbine also known as "Wild Columbine" . The most striking feature of columbine flowers is the collection of five backwards-projecting spurs. Each spur is a petal. At the very top of each spur, inside, is a gland producing sweet nectar. When a pollinator such as a hummingbird comes to stick its beak up into the spurs to sip nectar, in the process it brushes against the stamens, which deposit pollen onto the pollinator. When the pollinator visits the next flower, it leaves some of that pollen on the flower's stigma, thus pollinating the flower.
Aquilegia canadensis L. Red columbine also known as "Wild Columbine" . The most striking feature of columbine flowers is the collection of five backwards-projecting spurs. Each spur is a petal. At the very top of each spur, inside, is a gland producing sweet nectar. When a pollinator such as a hummingbird comes to stick its beak up into the spurs to sip nectar, in the process it brushes against the stamens, which deposit pollen onto the pollinator. When the pollinator visits the next flower, it leaves some of that pollen on the flower's stigma, thus pollinating the flower.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm back! Kinda. I haven't stamped in a long, long time. No mojo. I pulled this card out of my archives and thought it was worthy of...
-
Another photo from my garden. It is so much fun to get home from work everyday and see what's blooming and how much everything is growi...
-
{Quick & Easy Graduation Cards!} I whipped these up real quick last weekend. I cleaned my stamping area and decided that I really need ...
-
My Basic Grey INFUSE order came in yesterday so I've been playing a little bit. I absolutely love the color combo in this collection. It...
No comments:
Post a Comment